Saturday, May 12, 2012

Chapter 23

Day 116

The older kids left for school before I was up and stirring. The first thing I did this morning was to call Drew over for his babies' birthdays. Drew showed up in his tux. He looked hot, but I wondered why he was wearing a tux first thing in the morning.



Colton aged up with my hair color and Drew's blue eyes. Cody has my hair and eyes. They are both adorable, handsome little dudes.


But there is no doubt that they are all boy LOL


I should have sent Drew away immediately after the party. He was distant with me at first, perhaps it was because I hadn't called him to tell him I was pregnant or invited him over to see the boys before now? 


Then apparently I lost my mind, before I knew what was happening we were doing more than talking.


And I didn't lose my mind just a little. I totally lost it because I invited him to spend the night!

That evening was Shelby and Shayla's birthdays. Shelby aged up to adulthood with the trait: Great Kisser. Oh boy, this could be trouble. Her Lifetime Wish is to be Master of the Arts. Shayla aged up with the trait: Disciplined. Her Lifetime Wish is to obtain Physical Perfection. 



After the party and everything was cleaned up, I went upstairs and found Drew asleep in my bed. And to prove I had not only lost my mind, but had entered the batshit crazy zone - I woke him up and made a move on him. Things heated up quickly between us. Together we were combustible.





Day 117

Drew left abruptly this morning. He seemed very distracted or concerned. I didn't have much time to dwell on that, because today is graduation day for Shelby and Shayla! Shelby graduated with honor and was voted "Most Likely to Burn Down their own House" by her classmates. Shayla graduated with honor and was voted, Most Likely to become a Sports Star."





Very soon it was time for graduation gifts and hugs good-bye. My beautiful girls are leaving the nest to move into the little Gray apartments down the road with the triplets. Shelby is seeking a career in law enforcement. and Shayla is seeking a career in sports.





As soon as the girls moved out I proved that not only had I lost my mind, but was quite insane. I called and invited Drew to come over. As soon as he arrived, we started dancing.



Soon I was making a move on him, but he grabbed my hand and told me, "We need to talk."


What happened next blew my mind. The ensuing conversation is still reverberating in my head. I can't manage to recall the conversation verbatim, but the crux of the conversation was simply this:


Drew is a private investigator. And he had been hired to find me! He didn't know who was looking for me or why. All transactions and correspondence with this case had been conducted via e-mail. He had been stunned when on his first morning in Appaloosa Plains, I stopped by his house. He had no intention of becoming involved with me, but he had immediately become enamored with me.


During my pregnancy, he had not reported that he found me. Instead he concentrated on trying to discover who was trying to find me and why. But he discovered the identity of my pursuer was buried so deep in red tape that it was impossible to unveil.


I was devastated. "Help me!," I begged, "What do I do?"


Drew told me that it wasn't that difficult to find me. I was leaving a paper trail behind me wherever I went. I was selling the houses, packing up belongings, stopping at gas stations and eating out on our drive to our new homes. When I moved away, it was within a day's drive. Sometimes I used to computer to check on my children. I was a beautiful woman traveling alone with children, most of us with matching red hair. I stood out in a crowd.


He told me this situation was big and very serious. The only way he could protect me was to stay behind and try to create a false trail. While he distracted my hunters I needed to disappear. Walk away from the house and have my adult children in town sell it for me. He could provide money in an offshore account for me. When my house sold, my kids could pay him back. No main roads, no hotel stays, no eating out on the road and I needed to travel light and leave the horses behind.


I was furious! NO! You are telling me that I need to walk away and leave everything with out a backwards glance? AND leave my beloved horses as well? And the man that I am falling for? "Come with us," I implored. He replied, "I can't. Your life and our twins may depend on your following my instructions."


How could this be happening? I am finally falling for someone and I am about to lose it all! When will this stop? He said he cared too much for me to risk my safety. It's over. It's gone. It's time to walk away.


And he broke my heart.


And hugged me good-bye.


And walked out my door.


And I stood in the living room and cried.


Day 118

Heartbroken, my day started while it was still dark. I followed his directions, with the exception of leaving my horses behind. As soon as car lots were open I traded my sweet pickup in for something less eye catching. I hit the back roads. I fillied my gas tank with the gas cans I carried. Dakota and I ate granola bars and trail mix while Colton and Cody drank their bottles in their car seats. We stopped in deserted areas for bathroom breaks, peeing in the woods before we walked the horses. The day was tedious and long. I kept driving northward and higher in elevation. Where would I stop and settle down? Could I find a place to stop and settle down? What would be better a small town or bustling urban area? Could I even dare to stop and settle in one place for a period of time? I still didn't have any answers when we stopped and camped for the night.


Through it all Dakota was such a trooper. I could tell he was confused, but I didn't have an explanation for him.


How could I explain where we were going and what I was going to do, when I didn't even understand it myself?


Author's note: My challenge will be moving to my new computer. Much better graphics ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment