Saturday, March 15, 2014

Chapter 60


It was a warm summer day and I had been roaming through the woods next to the palace. Now it was later in the afternoon and time to get home before the dinner bell rang out. I entered the courtyard and was struck by the fact that something was wrong.


It only took a few moments to realize that it was quiet, too quiet. Why wasn't my little sister rushing up to greet me? Where was my darling pet, Meeka? Why weren't the servants bustling around preparing the evening meal? I took the steps two at a time, straining to listen for anyone, anything.


Uneasy at the continued silence, I went straight into Mummy's music room.


Mummy always relaxed before dinner by playing the piano. Where was she? I quickly entered the main house, searching in vain for anyone and yet too afraid call out.


The silence surrounded me, cloying heavily like a overly sweet perfume. I ascended up to Papa and Mummy's study, perhaps they had official duties they were attending to.


It was empty. I must be alone in the palace. Perhaps something had happened? Perhaps everyone had rushed to the wharf or citadel? They will come for me when they return home, I decided. I would go up to my bedroom and wait.


My skin prickled and my heart pounded. I walked over to my mirror to look at my new dress that Nordeena had made for my upcoming birthday. I glanced in the mirror and broke the heavy silence with an audible gasp.


I stared horrified as a shriek tore loose from my chest.


Noooooooooo!!!


I dropped to my knees, holding my head in my hands and howled, "Mummy! Mummy! Muuummmmyyy!!!"


Day 272

I woke up sobbing, with Colby trying to sooth me, "It's just a dream, Charlotte. You're okay. Everyone is okay. Wake up, baby."


Colby gathered me close and I lay beside him, trembling with tears streaming down my face.


"Want to tell me about it?"

I tried to slow my racing heart as I babbled, "I was young and alone in my childhood home, utterly and completely alone. And in the mirror I was old and still alone! Always alone, Colby. I've lost so much!"

"You're not alone anymore. I can't bring back your parents, but you have me and the kids. I'll never leave you alone, I promise you."

My heartbeat slowed as I soaked in the warmth of his body and listened to his soothing words. Sean had Rory out of his little bed and was preparing breakfast for everyone. My stomach still churned from my nightmare and I couldn't face food just yet. I wandered over to the piano as the family ate, slowly picking out a tune I'd heard my mother play many times. I had forgotten that my very gifted mother played the piano every day of her life since she had been a small child. How could I have forgotten that?




After they ate breakfast, the kids headed out for school. Colby generously did the dishes before he went to attend his dragons. I took care of Rory and completed his potty training.




It was a beautiful spring day. The weather was clear and finally warming up. I couldn't bear to stay around the house brooding. I gathered a few things and Rory, then proceeded to take him around Dragon Valley for some play time in the bright sunshine.


I spent some time deep in thought while Rory played with Baba, his toy sheep. I couldn't change the past, but shoving away all my memories to avoid the hurt as I had done for years wasn't a good idea. My precious, priceless memories had been shoved down so deep that I had forgotten everything about my old life. The names and faces, the sights and sounds and the intense loss I suffered by losing everything dear to me. I had only masked the wound and now my wounded heart was a raw, gaping wound again.



Dragon Valley was more like my home than any other place I had encountered on Earth. I didn't want to leave it. I felt like I belonged here. But if I chose to stay, Colby would not leave without me. That would mean death for him. I could not do that to him or my children. Once again I was being called to make a sacrifice and truth be told, I resented it. Why was this my fate? When would I get to do what I wanted?



Dragon Valley was breathtaking in all it's spring glory. I roamed throughout with Rory, soaking up it's beauty.


The sun was still high in the sky when we returned home.


The kids played happily as I went about preparing our dinner.





Colby took me aside after dinner, "Charlotte, we need to explain to the kids about leaving this realm soon."


"Not yet, Colby. They'll use any excuse to get out of homework. Let's tell them after the spring semester, right before we go."






That evening before I went to bed, I played the piano and remembered. I pick out as many tunes as I could, recalling the days as a small child playing with my dolls in Mummy's music room.


Day 273


Bealtaine had arrived. It was also the Ataegina full moon. Both magical events on the same day was an uncommon occurrence. The air fairly crackled from the collusion of magic. I could taste it, even catch it's scent on the air. Tonight we would take our family to the Cardea gateway. But for today we had plans to enjoy our last day in this fair village. I served up a hearty breakfast for my family.





We started our day at the beach. Quite frankly, I was looking forward to living in a time where bikinis were socially acceptable again.






After our morning at the beach, Colby went home to attend his dragons. I decided to take the kids to the spring festival.





After enjoying the spring festival, we visited the Renaissance Faire.






And before we knew it the day had passed by. It was time to go home for our last meal in our lovely house.



The sun was sinking quickly. The Bealtaine fires would be lit in a matter of hours. It was time to head out.



We arrived at the Cardea Gateway and waited for the moonrise and the gatekeeper.


Colby hunkered down by the wicker crate holding his beloved baby dragons. I was worried that he would not want to part with them when the time came.


When the moon rose over the mountains, it took our breath away.


The blood red moon slid into view between two dragon figureheads and a soft red glow began to shine on the premises.


We waited with bated breath as the moon slid higher in the darkened sky.


Colby stood guard by his dragon's while Sean kept the twins distracted. I did my best to console an increasingly agitated toddler.


None of us had heard anyone approach, so we were startled out of our wits when a hiss came from the shadows, "Princesssss, you wish to go through the gate?" And then an evil cackle.

I turned startled to see a large dragon and... no!


It couldn't be!?!


Much to my horror it was Mr. Tricavi. But it wasn't. He was the gatekeeper, the feared Dragon Lord. What sort or trickery was this?!? Colby and I stared mutely at the mottled Dragon Lord as he approached us.


"I believe you have something of mine, Princess," Mr. Tracavi growled out in a low undertone.

I wavered in resolve before responding in a raspy whisper, "What if I don't give it to you?"

"Then there will be a great deal of bloodshed and none of it will be mine."

I wanted to throw the chest at him, grab my children and flee back to the house. The only thing stopping me, was the thought of explaining to them how I'd just handed over their father to a certain death. I checked my fear and placed the small chest onto the large wicker one. I wiped my clammy hands on my skirt before I spat out, 'Here!"


"Open it for me."

"I can't!"

"I'll help you," Mr. Tricavi announced. He pointed his forefinger at the chest and muttered a spell. "Try again, Princess."


The lid sprang open at my touch and I reached in and pulled out a sticky, quivering... heart!


"Ahhhhh, there it is. It's been so long since we parted ways," Mr. Tricavi mused. "If you value your children's lives, then throw it at me as hard as you can," he demanded."


I did as he asked, afraid to do otherwise. As soon as the heart left my hand, Mr. Tricavi threw his arms back and arched away from me. To my shock the heart slid neatly into his chest.


As soon as the heart slid in, he inhaled deeply as a near miss drowning victim starved for air might. Then he staggered and dropped to his knees.


Next the Dragon Lord rose to his feet and sighed wearily as he softly allowed, "Now that I have a heart again, I can do the right thing." Then in an otherworldly voice, "What to you seek of the Cardea gate keeper?"

Colby responded with a steady voice, "Passage to the Low World."


"And what do you offer as your fare?"

"Dragons."

"Are they yours to give?"

"Yes, they are mine."

"And you give them freely?"

My heart caught in my throat as Colby hesitated a moment before replying, "Yes."

"So shall it be," Mr. Tricavi declared. His left hand glowed as he circled his right over it. He muttered foreign sounding words before flinging his hand at the arch behind us.


And then the archway to an open room became a entrance to a tunnel, The air shimmered and sparkled with familiar lights and the unnatural fog began to seep towards us.


"This is how it's going to work. The children go first one at a time. Then the mother followed by the father. Finally your mutt if you want him."

I found my voice and replied indignantly, "Of course, we want him. I need to carry the baby through."

"No, you don't. He can walk or crawl through on his own."

"What if he's too frightened to?"

"You could always throw him through," he suggested helpfully.

I hissed a nasty response to that.

Sean stepped forward handing Rory to me, "I'll go first, mom."

With that my brave young son walked through the vibrant electric static.


With Sean safely through, I knelt down and encouraged Rory to toddle through to his big brother.


Next was Seamus and then Shannon.



I started after my children, but then I halted in my tracks at the sound of Mr. Tricavi's voice, "Wait! We have unfinished business." I turned to face him as Colby stared as his trunk of dragons.


"Our business is finished! We have done all that you have asked!"

"You're feisty," Mr. Tricavi mused, "That's the trait I'd like the mother of my child to have."

"You can forget that!"


"I won't and there is more. I can't take you back in time, Princess. But I can help you move forward to give you a chance in fulfilling your destiny."

"Why would you do that for me?"

"I'm not doing it for you. I'm depending on you."


I was frustrated, "You speak in riddles!"

"Let me be blunt then! You do as I ask or you die!"


I half sobbed in fear, "You would take me against my will in front of my husband and children?"


"Keep your skirt down, woman! I'm talking about a magic spell, not the ride of your life!"

"Fine. Do what you have to do."


Mr. Tricavi muttered another incantation before flinging a spell at me. The spell hit my lower abdomen and a warmth spread through my loins.


"Our business has concluded, Princess. Go be with your children."

Numbly and silently, I did so.



Now it was Colby's turn. He had been in a trance staring at his dragons. It was if he was completely unaware as to what just transpired. How would I explain this to him, once he realized I'd be carrying another man's child? I waited for him to join us, but instead was startled as what occurred next.

"No! I will not give you the dragons!"


"You will or you will suffer the consequences."

"They are mine and I won't yield them to you," Colby roared with anger. I could hear Flynn whimpering just out of my sight.


I rushed back to the gate and shouted through it, "No, Colby! Leave them! Please!" Perhaps he could not hear me, he did not acknowledge me at all. Instead he burst into a furious rage and tackled Mr. Tricavi.



I didn't understand why Mr. Tricavi didn't use his magic to fight back or the have his dragon attack Colby. Shannon fretted behind me as Sean shushed her. This didn't make sense to me. And then suddenly the fight was over. Colby was leaning over a prone Dragon Lord as he lay on the ground with fixed eyes.


"Colby," I whispered weakly as I watched in horror. In front of my eyes, Mr. Tricavi's skin faded back to a normal color while Flynn raced in circles howling.


Colby rose and turned to face me, "Charlotte, something is wrong." He sounded frightened. And then I noticed his eyes changing.


"No!" I sobbed as his tender lips turned black.


"Chaaaarlotte!"


And then he turned his back to me, facing the Grim Reaper that came for Mr. Tricavi.


Before Mr. Tricavi's spirit faded away, he turned his head to look at me and whisper, "It's up to you now, dearie." And then he and the reaper were gone. Colby turned back to me and we reached our hands out to each other. Neither of us could reach through to the other side. And I knew this was the end of us. And our hearts were breaking. "Charlotte, I'm so sorry."


I could only stare helplessly as the shimmering electricity faded and turned into a wall of stone. I dropped down, stunned and numb.


"Mother," Sean called to me. I turned and rose to face my children.

Shannon heartbreakingly asked, "Will we ever see Daddy again?"

I couldn't bear to lie to her, "No, Shannon. Daddy is trapped in Dragon Valley forever and we can't go back."


Seamus spoke up, "Did Daddy turn into a monster?"

"No, darling, Daddy is the Lord of the Dragons now." I expected Sean to say something, anything about the events they had just witnessed. But he only said, "We will need to rest." My children fairly staggered with exhaustion. I gathered Rory from Sean and lead them away from the gateway into the tunnel leading to somewhere unknown to me.


Colby had held most of the supplies. We had homemade granola bars with just a bit of water. We curled up and dozed a bit but you could scarcely call it rest. We gave up after a few hours and staggered on, hoping to find our way out of the tunnel soon. After another hour or so, we came upon a simmering "wall" of sorts. What could we do but move forward and through it.


Once we passed through the shimmering area, it turned into solid rock behind us. Ahead was an increasingly narrow tunnel and sunlight!


I had no idea what I'd find outside of this cave, only holding on to the faint hope that I had returned to the same time and place I'd left all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment