Saturday, March 22, 2014

Chapter 61

(A/N: This chapter contains subject matter that may not be appropriate for younger readers.)

Day 274 - First Day of Summer

We clambered out of the cave and into the open.


Where were we? It was clearly a desert, but it didn't look like Lucky Palms. The air was nasty, foul smelling and a sickly color. There wasn't a breeze to be found and it was searing hot.


The twins were stunned and silent, but Sean spoke up sounding dazed, "Mom, where are we?"

"I don't know, Sean. It feels like... hell," I responded while looking around trying to get my bearings. I spotted a small building with lights in the distance. "We need shelter, food and water. We are heading to that building for help." And I started walking in that direction.



The heat enveloped us. We were out of water, suffering from a growing thirst and the building was still so far away.


I pushed myself, encouraging the kids to walk just a bit more. We were closer, but not close enough when Shannon stopped and whimpered, "I can't walk anymore. I'm so thirsty."

Sean spoke up, "I can go there and get water for us while you wait here with them."


Before I could respond, I noticed a figure leaving the building and heading toward us. It looked as if that person was gliding across the sand. I wondered if it was a mirage or delirium from dehydration.



It was a teen younger than Sean. She stopped and asked, "Why are you out here alone, miss? Where are you from?" She looked at our clothing with suspicion.


I cautiously responded, "We are strangers from out of town. We are lost and out of water. Can you help us?"


"My name is Prudence, but everyone calls me Pru. Come with me and I'll help you." With that she hopped on her hovering skateboard and led the way. With the renewed hope of water and refuge from the heat, the kids trotted after her while I followed at a more sedate pace.


The building was tiny and plain. Pru waved at the door and it slid open, allowing us entrance into the cool interior.


It was a small home contained in one room A kitchen in one corner, a small dining and living area with bunk beds in the corner opposite the kitchen. Inside was an elderly man, very surprised to see us.


Pru greeted the elderly man briefly before fetching us all glasses of water. We gulped them gratefully as Pru went to speak to the elderly man. She recounted our meeting verbatim.


"Pru, turn on the television for the children, while I speak to their mother." My children had never seen a television, save Sean as a young toddler. But even I was astounded at the modern projector TV that Pru activated for the kids. They were captivated instantly.




I sat Rory down with a bottle and his toy sheep and went to speak to the elderly gentleman.

"My name is Jerry Cline and you are?"

"Charlotte... Storey," I hesitated before sharing my last name. Should I have said Brooks? I didn't really have a husband anymore, did I?


"You have a very unusual hair and eye color, Charlotte. Tell me where you are from and please don't leave anything out."

I hesitated before responding and instead asked, "Where are we?"


"You are in the wastelands just outside of Oasis Landing on this date of June 1, 2215."

I gasped, stunned. Not only had I not returned to the time I hoped, but had ended up hundreds of years in the future.

Jerry raised his eyebrows at my reaction, "Charlotte, you need to be completely honest and forthcoming with me. This place and time is very dangerous to all... especially outsiders. I want to assisit you, but I cannot do so if you lie to me."

What could I say? I knew nothing of this era, any lie would trip me up. I had no choice but to be truthful and hope that I wouldn't regret it. I gave him an abbreviated version of my life leaving out the part about not being from Earth and having borne over fifty children.


When I was finished sharing my story about the realms and traveling through them, Jerry nodded and began to speak, "Just about a couple of hundred years ago, the government decided funding space travel and exploration was a waste of money. NASA the once great entity was circling the drain. Space exploration and defenses tapered into nothing. Earth was so focused on political differences and bickering, we never saw them coming. And then they were upon our planet invading us, the Duthalorians."


I covered my mouth in horror and gave a small cry of fear and dismay. Jerry continued, "The Duthlorain soldiers are the things that nightmares are made of. They have eradicated the majority of humans and harvested the planet of almost all life sustaining components: animals, plants, minerals and natural water. As far as we can tell, Oasis Landing may be the last settlement on Earth. Surrounded by a vast wasteland we are completely isolated. Some head off for the unknown, searching for other communities, but no one returns with any word of success. For our advanced technology, we cannot communicate with anyone outside our community. Either they do not exist or our communication is blocked."

I was trembling then, positive that I had wandered into a nightmare. Damn that Mr. Tricavi for doing this to us! He said he was helping me to move forward so I could fulfill my destiny. But he had sent us into the apocalypse.

"There is more, Charlotte. If we could please step into the library, we could discuss this more privately while I show you some of the history I am talking about."


I nodded my assent. And followed him as he pushed a few buttons on a keypad, opening a door near the bunk beds. The door opened up into a very small room with some sort of elevated tube that reminded me of the vacuum tubes they used at banks to send money from the cars to the tellers inside. It indeed appeared to be the same type of transport.


The basement library was a modest size, but filled with many books, both paper and digital. Jerry pulled a few out now and again, explaining more as he went along, "The Duthalorian military rule this planet still. They show up every twenty-five years or so to remind us that we can be crushed into oblivion should they chose to do so. If any advancement in space travel or space defense has been made during their absence, it is squashed. And like wars since the beginning of time, slaves are taken and women are violated. We do not live in freedom while they are away. The human ruling police state is deeply suspicious of anything remotely alien. I think you'd compare it to witch hunts of the olden days. If you look remotely alien or anyone casts suspicion on you, odds are you will be imprisoned for life, entire families even."


"There are descriptions of other aliens races here in the library, Charlotte. Descriptions of aliens from the now completely eradicated planet Xicanopia, with red hair and lavender eyes," Jerry said staring me straight into my lavender eyes.


I faltered and then caved, telling the rest of the story to Jerry.


"I believe you and I will do everything I can to protect you and your children, Charlotte. But first there is more you need to know."


"I am the historian and librarian of the past, Charlotte. We have a library in town but books depicting true historical events are not permitted by the Duthalorian government. They wish to take away any knowledge of uprisings and rebellions. They wish to rob us of any heroic past and keep us all as victims. Our local government has spent years protecting our history. This library is shielded underground from the Duthalorians. It is deep enough to be protected from the continuous lightning and meteor strikes we are now assaulted with daily. Pru is an orphan resulting from a large meteor strike and she is now my apprentice. She will take my place when I am gone and one day chose her own replacement from the orphanage."

Jerry shifted uneasily before continuing, "I spoke to you of the male Duthalorian soldiers using women as spoils of war. The Duthalorian genetics are not entirely compatible with human genetics. Despite that pregnancies result from these heinous acts. Some women commit suicide. Other try to terminate their pregnancies without success. The majority of the women, particularly the younger and older die from the prolonged pregnancies. The few that survive the pregnancy duration are typically cast out from their families and imprisoned until they give birth. None of the mothers survive the birthing process and infanticide quickly eliminates what the officials consider a threat to us.

A few mothers will escape to the wastelands, hiding to protect their unborn child that they love despite how the infant was conceived. There is a secret role for the historian. We are the protector of these children. I can protect you in the same manner, but you will have to let go of the past and live with these children."

"No! I can't do that!"


"Then I can only offer you this library as a refuge. It will be only a matter of time before you and your children are captured and imprisoned by the police."

"You would allow this to happen to us?"

"This is your choice! Would you have me turn these young children over to a certain death?"


"These children are evil!"

"No! Their fathers are evil! They are innocent. Hatred of another race or gender is taught, not born. You condemn these young children as the powers in charge would condemn yours!"

I knew he spoke the truth, but I could not quell the fear within. "I will be frightened with them around my children day in and day out."

Jerry sighed before soberly sharing, "They are not a healthy lot. Many attempts to raise these children have occurred over generations. None of them survive adolescence and make it to young adulthood thus far. These little ones sleep excessively. They awaken around dinner time to eat, play and learn until midnight or so. Then they sleep until the next evening. You will see very little of them."


I had no choice but to face my prejudices and fears in order to protect my children. I assented to residing with these half-Duthalorian children. Jerry called for Pru to bring my children down to the library and then Jerry revealed a secret entrance hidden behind a bookcase. It opened up to a tiny room than held a simple ladder leading to below.



I expected a cramped and dark basement, but was pleasantly stunned to find a huge and open underground home.




Jerry chuckled as his stomach growled audibly to everyone in the room, "The little ones are not awake yet, but this old man is hungry. Let me show you how to use the food synthesizer for a meal." With that he demonstrated how to obtain a hot dog meal. Sean tucked Rory into the high chair and we all followed Jerry's instructions.




After we ate, Shannon eagerly helped Pru clear the table.


Next Shannon and Seamus ran through the doors to the "outdoor" playground while Pru showed Sean how to work a computer. I was astounded to see what advancements had been made in that area.



I had just picked up Rory from the high chair when Jerry stared down the hallway and remarked, "I think the children are up and about now." I faced that direction with dread in my stomach.



That day had been full of surprises, so I shouldn't have been shocked by facing another one, but indeed I was.



I ignored the three half-Duthlorian children and asked, "You have a robot?"

"No, she is a Plumbot, more specifically a Nanny-bot by design. She cares for the children. Rosanna charges while the children are asleep, but we can program her to assist you or get you your own Plumbot down the road."

"Uh, I'm good for now."

Rosanna the Plumbot set about making dinner for the children. I couldn't help but stare at them. Their markings, scaly skin and umbilical scar on their foreheads made them look 100% Duthalorian. I couldn't help the uneasiness that intensified.


Jerry greeted each child by name, they responded pleasantly and stared at me shyly. I tried my best to paste on a friendly smile before following Jerry directions to the bedrooms and bathrooms.


To my relief each bedroom came with a lock that I could program. I would sleep better knowing that. Jerry found us changes of clothes and advised that I take off my rings and put them up for safe keeping. Diamonds no longer existed on Earth and they would stand out once I went out among the population of Oasis Landing. I was too tired to ask more questions about how I'd accomplish that safely and set about bathing Rory before tucking him into a crib.



Once Rory was tucked in, I fetched the other children to shower and set them up in a room with two bunk beds. Shannon was used to having her own room, but I felt better about them all sleeping in one for now.


I retreated to my room across from the nursery, trying in vain to sleep but instead dreaming of Dragon Lords and Duthalorians.



Day 275

When life has taken an extremely unpleasant turn, you go to sleep hoping and praying that you will wake up from this nightmare you are enduring. How very disappointed you are to wake up in the morning and discover it wasn't all just a bad dream, but indeed your life has become the things nightmares are made of. I stumbled out to bed feeling unrested and weary. I got dressed using the most stretchy outfit I could find to accommodate my already thickening waist. I dreaded announcing my pregnancy to the children, wondering how much Sean heard during mine and Mr. Tricavi's exchange.

Despite my malaise I would try to put on a happy front for the children. And today was Rory's birthday. How on earth would I bake a cake? Would the synthesizer make one for me? I pondered all of this while I went to get Rory from his crib.


Walking into the living area, I found Pru and explained it was Rory's birthday.


She showed me how to program for a cake and Jerry was down ready to help celebrate before I could even spot my other children.





After breakfast, Pru explained that animals no longer existed on Earth, but there were digital pets called Sprites. She gave one to the children as a gift. Shannon fell in love with it immediately.


Jerry and Pru took that time to explain that they hoped to integrate us into society sooner than later. Red hair and lavender eyes would stand out and draw unwanted attention, but there was a way around that obstacle. Many people of all ages suffered from eye damage due to the frequent lightning strikes or flying debris from meteor strikes. Those with eye damage wore special corrective glasses and these glasses would shield your eye color. Also many people suffered from Alopecia Areata, an auto immune disorder resulting in hair loss. Many of those suffering from that condition wore head covering to protect their scalps, some quite fanciful even. We had the option to dye our hair or wear a head covering over our hair. Between the glasses and head coverings, we could mix with the public once we had learned how to fit in and Jerry had created false IDs for us.

Pru had a knack for cutting hair and had been training as a stylist before Jerry had selected her for the role of future historian. She would finish our physical transformations for us while Jerry tackled the database. While she started on cutting hair, I spoke to Jerry about the children going to school.


I was disappointed to hear that the Duthalorians had eradicated or forbade all religious and educational freedom. There wasn't any churches, schools or universities in Oasis Landing. But the people fought back quietly with homeschooling and apprenticeships. He would help me set up the homeschool program tomorrow, but for today he wanted us to work on resting and learning advanced technology.

Shannon was Pru's first makeover. Being blessed with her father's hair color and eye color, she would be free of both the head coverings and glasses.


Seamus would also be able to wander about with his hair showing, but would need glasses going out.


Rory had his Dad's eye color, so he'd be free of the glasses, but Pru had his hair AND eyebrows off before I could object. I was horrified, but Rory thought it was great. He loved his head covering so much that he insisted on wearing it all the time.


Like Rory, Sean would wear glasses around the general population. But he could enjoy his head being uncovered.


Pru and I went round and round before I permitted her to tackle my makeover. I insisted that she leave me my eyebrows because I'd be hiding them behind my glasses anyway. I also refused to dye or shave my head. I finally consented to a partial shave to accommodate headwear. Ultimately I was ticked off given I had started growing my hair long again.


The younger children were free to play in the garden room while Pru took Sean out to help teach him how to use the hoverboard. I had the feeling that Pru and Sean were a bit sweet on each other.



Meanwhile Jerry took me upstairs to show me how to use the computer and to start creating our false IDs.






When our IDs were in the database, Jerry looked for my descendants. There were not any to be found. Not a single trace of even one. It would appear that my first fifty-one children had been eradicated from Earth.


I was devastated and sat on the couch sobbing, "I should have stayed on Xicanopia and died with my family! I've accomplished nothing! There isn't any point to this!"

Jerry smiled gently at me and spoke in a soothing voice, "You have four living children and they will have children. You and your family have not been eradicated. There is still hope, Charlotte."


I longed to feel numb, to not care or to feel a shred of hope, but instead despair engulfed me. I spoke in a flat voice, "I'm pregnant by someone other than my husband, It was a monster that tricked me, promising me our lives in exchange for bearing his child."

"Do you want to tell me about it, Charlotte?"

I recounted the entire sordid tale to Jerry, including the old woman's prophecy.


"Tricavi is Latin, my dear, the very definition on causing trouble or playing tricks. But I believe he spoke the truth to you on many occasions."

"Such as?"

"When you first met him, Mr. Tricavi told you he was weary of his responsibilities and wanted a child so he could live on in the future. He handed his responsibilities over to your late husband and now his lineage lives on within you."

"But why not send me to a time where his child would be safe? I am positive he deliberately sent me forward to this time."

"Charlotte, if he had sent you back to the time you had desired then his child and you would have faced the invasion of the Duthalorians. You both would have no doubt been among the first victims. This is indeed a horrible era, but I believe that Mr. Tricavi was pinning his hopes on you. He must have believed that sending you here would give you a fighting chance. I don't believe he would have went to the trouble of impregnating you, if he didn't believe his child would not survive."

I listened to Jerry's words, taking them deep within my heart. It made complete sense. During our exchange at the Cardea Gateway, Mr. Tricavi told me that he was depending on me. His parting words had been, "It's up to you now, dearie." I was far from flattered, feeling rather used truth be told. But within me hope sparked. Perhaps this wasn't the end after all, but just another beginning.


Sean was wrapping up his hoverboard lesson with Pru while I went downstairs to try and tackle the computer on my own before dinner time.





It seemed as if cooking might be a thing of my past, the kids were thrilled to push buttons and get any meal they desired. I would need to watch that it wasn't dessert for every meal.



Shannon was completely enamored with Dara, the Sprite. This actually helped Shannon to be the first one in our family to learn the skill of advanced technology.


To my dismay, it was time for the half-Duthalorian children to awaken.


After dinner they eagerly ran to the garden room to play with my children. I was still uncomfortable with that idea so I walked out there to keep an eye on things.



Pru walked out to chat with me. She looked at the environmental wall projection and asked, "Was there really blue skies, miss? And white fluffy clouds that rained down gentle sweet water? And cold weather with icy snowflakes to play in?"


It pained me to hear those questions, "Yes, Pru, all of that is true. It was so very beautiful."

She drew me to the living area to look at the tropical projection and the posters of the night skies and asked more questions, "And were there salty blue oceans flowing all over the Earth? Could you really swim in them? And night lights in the skies? Did you see stars, planets and a bright shining moon that reflected the sun in the sky at night?"


"Yes, I saw all of this. And I took them for granted, thinking they'd always be there. Have you never seen such things, Pru?"

"No, miss, I've only seen pictures of these things. No one alive in Oasis Landing has seen these things."

With that, she smiled her gentle smile and bade me and Sean good night before scampering up the stairs. I briefly watched my son trying to master the modern day chess set before returning to the garden room.


I watched as Shannon gently pushed one of the Duthalorian children in the swing. My children were enjoying the company of these other little ones very much. They all played sweetly together, not hindered by hatred or prejudice.


I envied their innocence. As a child, I would have once played with any alien race without trepidation. My innocence had been shattered by the Duthalorian warriors attacking my planet. Why is it, we cease to see people as individuals? Why instead do we see them as a collective group, judging them all by the worst members of that group? Is it fear or self-preservation? Perhaps that is the case. My parents had not taught me to hate or fear anyone. Life's experiences had given me that little gem. I needed to try and let go of my pain and fear for the sake of all these children. But it wouldn't be easy. It never is when pain and fear rule over us.

4 comments:

  1. WOW, just WOW, you out did yourself on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, this story is amazing!! I love the way you've incorporated ITF into your story as well - it has given me lots of ideas for my own game. A really compelling story, keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete