Thursday, May 17, 2012

Chapter 24

Day 119

I was awakened by my aching back before the sun rose. I thought I had checked carefully before placing the tent, but I think I slept on top of every stick and sharp rock within a twenty foot radius. As soon as I could manage it, I had the horses and kids loaded up and I was driving north again. Today I would need to find a place to refuel my gas cans. After a few hundred miles were behind me, I came to a fork in the road. I had a decision to make, left or right? If I took the right option, the road looked more smooth and well-traveled. The left option looked more rustic and there was a sign that was covered by a worn out tarp. The busier road would yield more options for refueling, but it might be the expected route for anyone trying to follow me. I impulsively took the left option.

I soon came to regret my choice as the road quickly narrowed. I was up high in the mountains now. There was a steep drop off on the side of the road. There were no options for pulling over, stopping or turning back. I gripped the steering wheel of the old four-wheel drive jeep that was pulling the horse trailer behind me. Dakota was fiddling with the radio knob when we hit a sweet spot and the radio jolted from whines and crackles to clear transmission. Immediately the radio announced there was a massive storm front moving in. Anyone on the road should seek shelter as soon as possible. I gasped in horror. I was in an old jeep with my three precious sons, hauling my two horses behind me in a trailer, all while on the side of a mountain and now a dangerous storm was coming!

Dakota broke the silence, "Mom, what are we going to do?" His little voice squeaked with anxiety. I took a deep breath and reassured him that we would find a place to stop very soon to wait out the storm. And I said a silent prayer that was the truth. After an anxious five miles I spotted what looked like an entrance to a fairgrounds. I carefully turned and drove past the sign that proclaimed "Closed until Thanksgiving". I would find a shelter for us, even if I had to break into a building to do so. I tried not to think about the fact that committing a crime might bring unwanted attention or that we really didn't have the warm clothing to sit out a winter storm. As I drove slowly through the grounds, the sky was growing darker with the impending storm.

I spotted a side road that lead toward a barn of some sort that seemed to be built right into the side of the mountain. The barn-like shelter was long almost like a covered bridge. I drove into it, intending to pull in as far as I could go. To my shock there wasn't a back to the barn, it was indeed like a covered bridge that led into a tunnel. I halted the jeep at the mouth of the tunnel, trying to peer into the darkness with my high beams on as I heard the fury of the storm hit behind me. When the storm hit, Dakota gasped out loud and the horses neighed and shifted uneasily in the trailer. I made the decision to keep pulling forward cautiously. 

I drove with baited breath and a tightly gripped steering wheel through the tunnel. It went down for a while then began to climb up again. The sounds of the storm behind me faded. After what seemed like forever I saw light ahead of me. The light grew brighter. My heart rate and breathing slowed down as I realized I was seeing sunshine ahead! I was stunned at what I saw when I came out of the tunnel.


It looked like a magical winter wonderland! The sky was clear and blue. The wind was calm and peaceful. The view was breathtaking and Dakota exclaimed with delight. Shortly I came to a point where I could turn off.



I decided to pull onto the little dead end road to stretch my legs and change the twins diapers. I found myself situated by a little cemetery.


We had some time to take care of all of our needs and I had everyone tucked in ready to go again when a car pulled up. Dismayed I reluctantly got out of the jeep to chat with the new arrival.


I was greeted by a congenial lady that assumed the Custard's had sent me here and I had taken a wrong turn ending up by the cemetery instead of the town. I tried to bluff my way through the conversation, but feeling completely clueless when Charlotte Gamble (who was thrilled to be meeting another Charlotte) announced that she needed practice her welcome speech and would I mind if she practiced with me? I quickly agreed, hoping that her speech would yield a few clues to help me say the right thing.


The story unfolded: This area was a wildlife preserve for several near extinct animals. The zoologist managing this preserve built a scientific research center and a few homes for the scientists. But this area took a turn when the head zoologist fell in love with and married an actress (and carnival owner's daughter). The North Pole Carnival was held every year from Thanksgiving day until New Year's Eve on the fairgrounds I passed through. 

Before too long this eternally winter area turned into a combination wildlife preserve and year-round Christmas village. It was off the grid, GPSs and generally a complete secret from the world and government. Over the years this beautiful area turned into a Christmas village with houses, restaurants, a hospital, a school, a library and much more. Despite the constant snow, there were not any storms here. The storms stayed on the other side of the mountains. The storms on the other side kept this place blocked in and isolated much of the time.


The Custard family had relocated south for health reasons. They had the only home in this area that could house horses. Everyone else kept their horses in the stables where the competitions were held. And obviously the Custards had deemed me worthy enough to tell me about their house being for sale. I needed to make a quick decision. Here was a town, Christmas village, wildlife reserve or whatever you wanted to call it and no one knew it was here. The odds of anyone tracking me here were minute. I could stop running and settle down. I could move into a fully furnished house today. I could sleep on a bed tonight! I told her I wanted to see the house. She told me to follow her car. Before I knew it, I was seeing a cleared road again.








After driving through the village I found myself on a snow covered road again.



Then I spotted a house through the trees on the rise of a hill.


The house was beautiful!


And in addition to land, it had a barn with an attached greenhouse.


The moment Dakota and I got out of the car a huge furry dog ran up to greet us.


Miss Gamble quickly rattled off the house's amenities. First floor: two-car garage, recreation room, laundry room, master bedroom and bathroom, a second bedroom and bathroom and a front porch. The second floor: a bedroom, a bathroom, a half-bath, formal living and dining rooms, a family room, kitchen, breakfast room, front and back balconies. Third floor: a small playroom, a nook for a desk, a balcony and attic space. There was a two-stall barn with a small greenhouse attached. There was a training area and a fenced in play area for children and the dog. Oh yeah, the dog comes with the house. The Custards felt like their dog would be miserable in the south with all that fur.



Miska (an Alaskan Malamute) had already enchanted my son before I could object to being a dog owner. 


*sigh* I wanted the house. So, I guess we now have a dog. This house was pricier than I had planned. I would not be able to upgrade my car for something newer anytime soon. And I would need to get back to painting to support us. But I was already in love with this place. We settled in very quickly. I tended to the horses, Dakota tried out the game table in the third floor playroom and Miska played with her ball out in the backyard.




The horses enjoyed running around and playing. Dakota fed the dog and tried out the trampoline. Miska chewed on a toy while I planted in the greenhouse and worked for a bit on trying to upgrade the sprinklers to auto-water.






The evening found us settled in. I cooked Goopy Carbonara in my new kitchen. Dakota and I ate at the counter.






I tried out the piano. Maybe I will learn to play? I tucked Colton and Cody into their swings. We don't have any cribs and I don't really have the funds to purchase any now. Then we settled in for our first night in our new house in this winter wonderland.




No comments:

Post a Comment