Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Chapter 67

(A/N: I am going to try to post chapters more frequently. Setting up this world is turning out a lot like completing a home project. For every item I check off the list, two more pop up LOL So this next chapter will be a short one :)

Day 293 continued...

During my time on Earth, I had seen plenty of movies where Earthlings were sucked up into an alien spaceship. I had always chuckled to myself at the silly and unrealistic portrayal of boarding a spaceship. It turns out those authors and screenwriters had got that one thing right. We boarded the "mothership" by being "beamed up". First Kenzo with the triplets, then Morwenna and I holding the twins and finally Xokop.


Xokop took the time to explain to Kenzo and the children what I already knew: Earth in it's Milky Way galaxy was far, far away from the clusters of other inhabitable galaxies. In order to avoid spending the remainder of our natural lives aboard a space craft, we would need to enter a suspended state or stasis as the spaceship we were aboard navigated through wormholes. It would be as if we had a good night's asleep and then awakened refreshed for a new day.


Only this time around, the statis I had experienced all those years ago would be very different. It would be scarier this time, because I now had young children to fret about. Xokop carefully explained to the children that one by one we'd enter a stasis chamber and first a small amount of "special air" would enter the chamber. The "special air" would make us feel sleepy but very happy. Then a "special liquid" would fill the chamber to keep us safe until we arrived on Sanctuary. Even Kenzo looked doubtful and hesitant.


I knew that we'd never get anywhere if I didn't jump in and start the process. Xokop and I took Darius over to a statis chamber to get the process started.


The twins despite their tender age, proved to be a good example for the older children as to how easy and drama free the process was. But the feeling in my gut was of pure horror, staring at my youngest children "pickled". But I had to hide my feelings carefully from the rest of my family.


The triplets were next, each one trembling as they entered their chamber, but they did not balk or fight the process. Before I knew it most of my family was in a stasis chamber.


Next it was Morwenna's turn and she balked, "Mom! I don't want to do this? Can't I stay here on the moon?"


"No, Morwenna, we will not leave you behind. You must be brave enough to do this."

With great reluctance, she entered her chamber. She immediately shut her eyes in fear, but as the air relaxed her a smile flashed across her face. I asked Kenzo to go next. He raised an eyebrow at me, but then did as I asked.


Finally alone with Xopoc, I could verbalize my concerns, "Sanctuary is hidden from the Duthalorians, correct?"

"Yes, that is correct."

"But this spaceship is not."

"Once again, that is correct."


During out travel time, we would be just as vulnerable as if we were sitting in the jail in Oasis Landing. Perhaps even more so. I was terrified of awakening from statis to find my family destroyed.

"Princess, both my husband and I are pilots for the Sanctuary military. Both of us intend to be there to see our children grow up. I intend to be home when my children next climb off the school bus. This flight has it's risks, but not foolish or by any means doomed. Now the sooner we leave the better for all of us."

What could I say? I said a little prayer and entered the statis chamber.








2 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you back and writing Lise :)! Great chapter. (selah)

    ReplyDelete