Monday, June 9, 2014

Chapter 64

Day 284 - First Day of Winter

We celebrated the triplets' birthdays first thing in the morning. First was little Hope:


She had her father's blonde hair and blue eyes, thankfully I wouldn't be shaving her little head.


Next up was Jedrek:


He had his father's blue eyes, but my red hair. Jedrek would be forced to sport the Mr. Clean look, like his big brother Rory.


Last but not least was Cedric:


He has his father's hair color but my lavender eyes. I hated that the color of my children's hair or eyes had to be hidden so that it wasn't used against them.


We spent the morning enjoying cake and getting the triplets settled back into the nursery. It was time to start toddler training and I knew with the demands on me I would need all the help I could get from both Rory and Marty.






I received a phone call about a private art commission. I made sure Morwenna was tackling her schoolwork and the triplets were happy before I left for Loel's Lounge.








I walked in and found Bennett Obi downstairs.


The meeting was stilted and awkward. We spoke about a painting that he wanted me to create and then he made  several vague comments warning me of jealous people and watching my back. I felt uncomfortable and excused myself.



When I left I noticed I flurry of movement at the top of the stairs. When I reached the top, I noticed a woman setting up the pool table. Had she been listening to our conversation?


Uneasy by my outing, I stopped by a children's park close by to sit and think.



The only thing that came to mind during my time there was that this playground was missing an essential ingredient: children. Where were the children and families? Were they afraid to go outside, lest they be caught in the open during an invasion? Had most of the children been taken for slaves during the last invasion? The park was surrounded by nice family sized homes and not a soul to be seen. And I didn't see anyone out and about on my way home.


I was relieved to find my little ones safe and sound at home. And I gratefully tucked them into their cribs for the night.





Day 285

Every morning without fail, I took a look through my bedroom window wishing for a bright sun and blue skies. And every morning without fail I was disappointed.


The goals for the day were simple: schoolwork for the two oldest two kids, toddler training for the triplets, gardening for Marty and completing the sculpture I had begun.













Homeschooling was a wonderful thing. I was grateful that my children could still receive an education despite the lack of options in their lives. Over my years on Earth I had met families that chose homeschooling as a choice. But one thing I knew about these families, it was a full-time job. With my obligations to the city council and being a single mom, I was struggling with Morwenna. My other children needed just to be prompted to get started on their day, but even at being prompted Morwenna rebelliously did otherwise. And I didn't have the time to keep her on task, so it fell to Rory to drag her away from playing and stay nearby while she worked.
















The day had passed by in a blur. I had managed to compete the sculpture and would be able to start my commissioned painting tomorrow. But I was tired and had skipped dinner. I nommed on some fruit while the triplets drank their bottles.



Day 286

I was awakened before dawn by alarms blaring. I had only heard them once before but I knew what they stood for.


I raced from my bedroom, cursing this huge house with it's many floors separating me from my children.


I ran through yelling for everyone to wake up, as if the alarms wouldn't do that. I would need both Marty's and Rory's help getting the triplets in the hidden basement room in one trip.



Once downstairs I panicked while unable to find the hidden door with my shaky hands.


Once I found it my heart pounded loudly in my chest as I struggled to open the hidden door.



I powered down Marty, not certain how long we'd be down here and there wouldn't be any way to charge him.


And then the lights went off. We tucked the triplets into the swings and I insisted that Morwenna and Rory lay down to sleep in the sleeping bags. I should have lay down as well, but I couldn't with my heart still racing and my breaths coming in shallow gasps.




It was a short while before it was breakfast time and we all began our day underground in the dark.




There would be little else to do down here other than schoolwork and toddler training.







After much of the day had passed, I was stunned to receive a phone call from Sean.


"Sean?"

"It's me. And so you'll know it's me, I will use a code word when we talk on the phone. The word will change with each call, but I will mention something to you that only I would know... Flynn."

My heart contracted when my son mentioned his beloved dog, "Sean, what is going on? Is it safe to be on the phone right now?"


"The Duthalorians have left already. The prison was empty and few people were out to be caught. It wasn't worth staying around for, I guess."

I was so pleased to receive the all clear.


But concerned with questions, "Sean, they are coming more frequently now, aren't they?"

"Yes."

"Do you think it's me they are looking for?"

"I don't know, Mom, but something is changing."


I didn't have much time to ponder on that. I needed to get everyone back up, fed and put to bed. I was grateful that we didn't have to spend the night down in that room.









As exhausted as I was, my body felt knotted up. I slipped into the hot tub to unwind a bit before slipping into bed.



Day 287


Today would be a busy day. I had art to create, Marty had gardening to catch up on, Morwenna had schoolwork and I needed Rory to train the triplets. Thankfully he was ahead in his lessons and could afford to take the day off from his homeschool to help me.













That late afternoon and evening I was expected to make social rounds as the official artist. And I dreaded it. The first stop was a small lounge in the mining district, uncreatively named The Mine. This was my first visit in that area.





I was dismayed to find the place empty except for Bennet, who was in dire need of a shower. I grabbed a drink to fortify myself for what would be undoubtedly a long evening.



I didn't stay long, and since I had a little time before my next stop I wandered over to the sad little park built by the abandoned mine that this district had for the children that didn't seem to exist.





I took I detour driving back to the city and passed the cemetery. I thought of Chloe and her family.


My skin prickled as I passed by the prison.




I was dismayed to run into Celene Bannister, the woman that wanted my position. She didn't even attempt to be pleasant.


I walked away as quick as possible and rushed through the remainder of my stops. I just wanted to be home with my family.



Day 288

It was time for the triplets to have another birthday. Thanks to Rory's help they had all their little skills completed.


Hope's new trait was: Ambitious.



Jedrek's newest trait was: Hate the Outdoors. Considering what outdoors was in this time and place, I could hardly blame him.



Cedric's new trait was: Excitable.


Morwenna insisted that in order to celebrate her siblings birthday properly, they should all have the day off from schoolwork. That girl's attitude wore me slap out and I just gave in.



With my little ones growing up, I decided to make another visit to the hospital for insemination.





With my business at the hospital concluded, I decided to visit the library and see what Oasis Landing had to offer.



Then I decided to splurge on a jetpack. I heard they could be dangerous, but I was confident I had enough future technology skill to manage.







When I arrived home I found Marty performing a comedy show for the kids.





I took some time for myself while the kiddos watched a movie. I realized despite the ugliness and chaos around me, I felt a contentment I had not thought I was capable of here in Oasis Landing. Maybe I was settling into my new life?









“Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”

~ Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment